About a year and a half ago, I sat the VCAP-DCV Design 6.5 exam. I failed it on my first try. I needed a 300 to pass and I scored a 284. So, it would seem, I likely missed passing by one or two questions.
The VCAP Design is well known as a difficult exam that takes many people more than one try to pass. I wanted to retake it, but at that time I was too broke to pay for a second exam, and I got buried in work.
I started a new job last August doing a mix of design and implementation work, and back in March of this year, I got Covid-19. Now, I didn’t get that sick, but I was forced to self-isolate for a couple of weeks. Once I was feeling better enough, I started studying again for the VCAP-DCV 6.5 Design exam.
After I was out of self-isolation, my company adopted a policy allowing telecommuting, so I was able to spend more time in the evenings studying, and in April I was thrilled to see that Pearson-Vue was offering proctored VMware exams online. I registered for the exam and continued preparing.
This morning I sat the exam, and aside from some minor technical difficulties on getting signed in (of course the home internet dropped briefly about 15 minutes before the scheduled exam!), I was out of the gates.
It took me about an hour to navigate through the questions. I didn’t really feel like there were any gotcha questions, and I felt very confident once I’d reviewed the marked questions. I clicked Finish, and immediately saw that I had passed. I may have startled the proctor with my triumphant shout…
I scored a 332. It’ll do.
To prepare for the exam I used the following resources
- The Blueprint. Seriously, refer to the Blueprint (both for the VCAP-DCV Design 6.0 and the 6.5 versions of the exam).
- All of the technical documentation VMware recommends…think Availability Guide, Performance Guide, vSAN Design Guide, etc.
- VMware vSphere 6.x Data Center Design Cookbook by Hersey Cartwright – https://www.amazon.com/VMware-vSphere-Datacenter-Design-Cookbook/dp/1785283464/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=vsphere+6.x+data+center+design+cookbook&qid=1590077722&sr=8-1
- The VMware vSphere Host Resources Deep Dive by Frank Denneman and Niels Hagoort – https://www.amazon.com/VMware-vSphere-Host-Resources-Deep-ebook/dp/B0746H6DFC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=designing+vsphere&qid=1590077741&sr=8-3
- vSphere Design (2nd Edition) by Forbes Guthrie and Scott Lowe – https://www.amazon.com/VMware-vSphere-Design-Forbes-Guthrie/dp/1118407911/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=designing+vsphere&qid=1590077741&sr=8-10
- Many other resources.
I suppose this makes me a VCIX-DCV 6.5. I’ll post the badge when I get it.
What’s next? I’ve committed to my employer to become more network savvy this year. So, you’ll probably see more design posts and some network oriented posts too.